Liverpool requested for formal Investigation into mishaps in Champions League Final

“Request for formal Investigation into ugly scenes around Champions League Final” by Liverpool

Table of Contents

The Liverpool Football Club has requested a formal investigation into the raucous events that occurred during Saturday’s Champions League final in Paris.

As supporters were kept in densely packed areas near the Stade de France, French police used tear gas, prompting safety concerns among those there.

The Liverpool Football Club statement read.

We have asked for a formal investigation into the scenes that occurred during the Champions League final in Paris. We are committed to creating a safe and positive environment for our supporters both at home and away. And we wanted to take any appropriate action as a result of this incident.”

The game, in which Real Madrid won 1-0, was delayed by over 35 minutes. This happened when Liverpool fans struggled to enter the stadium despite many arriving hours before kickoff.

Tear gas was used by French police as supporters were held in tightly packed areas around the Stade de France. Because of that, safety concerns were spread among those who were there.

We are hugely disappointed at the stadium entry issues and breakdown of the security perimeter that Liverpool fans faced this evening at Stade de France.

Liverpool said in a statement

On a night hampered by security difficulties, Real Madrid defeats Liverpool to win the Champions League. This is the most important match in European football. And fans should not have to watch the scenes we’ve seen today. Liverpool management shared their concerns.

How did it start?

UEFA, the governing body of European football, said the problem was created by people. As many of them were trying to enter the stadium without legitimate tickets. Because of that, tear gas was used to gain control of the situation.

Thousands of fans who had purchased bogus tickets that did not operate in the turnstiles blocked the turnstiles at the Liverpool end in the lead-up to the game.

UEFA stated in a statement

As a result, there was a line of fans waiting to get in. The game was also forced to postpone for 35 minutes because of an unwanted situation. The staff was busy facilitating as many spectators with valid tickets as possible to attend.

The number of spectators was spreading quickly outside the stadium. In response, police dispersed them with tear gas and forced them away from the stadium.

UEFA is sympathetic to those affected by these events and will further review these matters urgently together with the French police and authorities, and with the French Football Federation. UEFA realises these types of mishaps need to be avoided at all costs.

Also Read:

Related posts

Leave a Comment